I wanted to make a healthy dinner for my parents that wasn’t the usual chicken, potatoes, and vegetable. I am not much of a cook although I do enjoy trying new things. We had thawed ground beef and leftover mashed potatoes from the night before so I decided it was time for the google to work it’s magic. A quick search lead me to nerdfitnessnerdfitness.com it’s an amazing website with lots of great workouts and community and recipes. I made a few tweaks to the recipe and used white potatoes instead of sweet potatoes for the sake of convenience.
Paleo Shepherd’s Pie:
1. Preheat oven to 350* F
2. Chop up potatoes and throw them in a large pot of boiling water. Can use sweet or white potatoes (4-5 small or 2-3 large)
3. Start cooking your chopped up veggies in a frying pan with ghee or clarified butter. I used 1 large onion, 2 large carrots, 1 can of peas, garlic (lots), and mushrooms (if you want-I didn’t use these since my dad hates them)
Spices I used: salt and pepper, cumin, paprika, a tiny dash of cinnamon, rosemary, and basil. (Will try oregano next time too)
4. Add the meat and cook until browned.
5. Stir in a large can of tomato paste and 2 tbsp of coconut milk. Let it all simmer.
6. Your potatoes should be ready to mash by now. I used a bit of ghee and another tbsp or so of coconut milk.
7. Get out a cake sized pan and put the meat/veg mix in there. Spoon your mashed potatoes on top and put in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
8. Serve, eat, enjoy.
9. Always make the others clean up your dishes. You cooked, they clean! Haha just kidding, or am I?
I wanted to let you know too that you don’t have to workout for hours doing crazy shit all the time to achieve results. My leg workout the other day was simple, yet effective! I was sweating so much by the end. And I only did 3 exercises!
Start with an active warm up and don’t forget to activate dem glutes (I do leg and arm swings, bodyweight glute bridges and squats, mountain climbers, bird-dog, walkouts, and foam rolling)
1. Goblet Squats
2x warm up sets, then 4x work sets
Again, 2x warm up sets, then 4x work sets
3. Hip Thrusts
You guessed it, 2x warm up sets, then 4x work sets
If you want to really kick ass finish off with a ladder workout (10-1 countdown reps) of the following:
Burpees (with push-up)
You’ll thank me later. Xo